If you ask me, raising kids is nothing short of heroic.
My brother and his wife just had their fourth, and whenever I visit I am humbled by how much selfless devotion goes into caring for their children.
Regan and I often get questions from parents about how to help their kids eat better, but the truth is that we don’t have any firsthand parenting experience as of yet.
Here in DC, we live close to Regan’s niece and nephew and are blessed to get to spend time with them on a regular basis.
But I’m pretty sure being the fun aunt or uncle isn’t quite the same as raising your own!
So today, I’m thrilled to defer the questions on pregnancy and parenting to the very knowledgeable and articulate Dreena Burton.
I had the opportunity recently to talk with Dreena about her new book Plant-Powered Families and ask her lots of juicy questions about the nuance and challenges of raising plant-powered kids.
Dreena has three wonderful, busy, hockey-playing girls, and has accumulated a mountain of hard won wisdom on how to make healthy eating work in the midst of fast-paced family life.
Her book is a treasure trove of kid-tested recipes and features tremendously valuable tips on how to navigate birthday parties, pack lunches, prepare kid-friendly snacks and more.
Plus, it’s gorgeous. I’ve seen a lot of beautiful plant-based recipe books and this is right up there with the best of them.
Ok enough of me gushing about Dreena and her book. If you are interested in learning more or pre-order her book, you can do so here.
In either case, check out the interview! We cover:
- (2:25) Pregnancy and why it’s so important to work with someone who supports your lifestyle
- (7:10) The best way to introduce new healthy foods to your kids
- (9:05) The number of times you may have to introduce a new food before your kids will try it (this blew me away!)
- (11:45) What foods Dreena sends with her kids when they go to a party
- (20:25) How Dreena stays organized while running a busy household
Enter to win a copy of Plant-Powered Families
UPDATE: The giveaway has now ended. Congrats to Donna and Danielle! We’ll be in touch to send you a copy of Plant-Powered Families.
Dreena has been gracious enough to provide a copy of her book to our community, and you can enter to win!
We’ll be randomly selecting two recipients (see entry details below) and notifying the winners on Friday May 8th, 2015.
Here’s how to enter:
- Sign up for the email list using the form below. If you are already subscribed, you do NOT have to subscribe again.
- Leave a comment below letting us know the following: Do you have trouble getting your kids, friends, or other family members to eat healthy? What are some of the issues you face? What has worked and what hasn’t? Give an example and be specific.
*Note: Only open to residents of the US and Canada
We will never sell your information or spam you, ever.
Matt Jager is a wellness activist, yogi and co-founder of True Wellth. His life mission is to transform the healthcare and food system in this country, so that every single person has access to the tools and support they need to look and feel their best, control their health, own their happiness and revolutionize their well-being.