Congrats to Rachel and Karen, the winners of last week’s giveaway! We’ll be in touch to send you a copy of Julieanna Hever’s new book The Vegiterranean Diet!
If you didn’t win, don’t fret, because we are hosting another giveaway for you this week!
Details to follow, but first lets pull the curtains, dim the lights, and talk about…planning and organization. After all, is there a sexier topic with which to start the new year?
Oh, you’d rather hear about 102 Fast Health Fixes? (a headline straight from the cover of Women’s Health magazine.) And we wonder why somewhere around 88% of New Year Resolutions fail!
In my mind there is nothing sexier than success, and one of the best ways we can engineer a win for ourselves is by making decisions in advance.
If you know exactly what you are going to eat when you come home tired after a long day or what snack you will reach for when the mid-afternoon craving hits, it becomes much, much easier to stay on track.
So today’s theme is easy access to the right food.
There are a number of ways to make sure you have access to healthy food when you need it. Common tactics include:
- Packing healthy snacks
- Keeping ingredients on hand so you can throw together a delicious meal in 5 minutes
- Taking some time on Sunday to meal plan for the week.
A little investment in preparation and planning can make all the difference, but who has time for THAT!
So today, I’m thrilled to talk about a kitchen appliance that can help you always be prepared without having to spend your life in the kitchen.
Here’s proof via facebook post of how life changing this magical kitchen addition was for me.
Ah the wonder of the pressure cooker.
Imagine throwing some quinoa, sweet potato, and kale into a pot when you are bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning, and coming home frazzled after a long day at the office to be greeted by the delicious aroma of your ready and waiting one-pot meal, all ready for you.
All you have to do is serve.
Or you can take some time on the weekend to batch cook for the week. With 10 or 15 minutes prep time you put some quinoa, beans, lentils, or soup in the pressure cooker, and then in 1-2 hours (rather than 4-5) you’ll be ready for the week with hearty meals available at your beck and call.
These are just two time-saving possibilities of the pressure cooker, and today we have a special guest that will help you get all the benefits this baby has to offer.
Introducing JL Fields and her new book Vegan Pressure Cooking
JL Fields is a vegan cook, lifestyle coach and educator and she knows her way around the pressure cooker.
Among her many other accomplishments, she is the Plant-Based Team Leader for Attune Foods and speaks on plant-based food, fitness, and making big changes post-40 all over the country.
JL has an amazing new book out called Vegan Pressure Cooking, and I asked her to give our community the 411 on how pressure cooking has changed her life, and how you can get started.
Watch the interview and learn:
- How easy it is to create no-fail meals with the pressure cooker
- Which pressure cookers are the best, and which ones we personally use
- What is better, a stove-top or electric pressure cooker?
- The time-saving technique that saves JL’s sanity when she is super busy with work.
- And for fun, how I tricked Regan into thinking I could cook when we were first dating!
- Vegan Pressure Cooking is available for purchase on Amazon.
- To learn more about JL and her new book, visit www.VeganPressurecooking.com
- The electric pressure cooker that I have is the InstantPot Duo IP-DUO60
- The stovetop pressure cook that JL uses is the Fagor Cayenne Pressure Cooker
- JL mentions Gina Hemshaw of Choosing Raw
Enter to win a copy of Vegan Pressure Cooking
JL has been gracious enough to provide a copy of her book to our community, and you can enter to win!
We’ll be awarding the prize to the best commenter (see entry details below) and notifying the winner on Wednesday January 14th, 2015.
Here’s how to enter:
UPDATE: And the winner is Heather B. Congrats Heather!
- Sign up for the email list using the form below. If you are already subscribed, you do NOT have to subscribe again.
- Leave a comment below letting us know the following: What keeps you from having easy access to healthy foods? Is cooking too laborious? Is it a pain to plan? Do you struggle with snacks? We’ll take the best comments (specific with examples) and randomly choose one winner.
*Note: Only open to residents of the Continental US
We will never sell your information or spam you, ever.
Matt Jager is a wellness activist, yogi and co-founder of True Wellth. His life mission is to transform the healthcare and food system in this country, so that every single person has access to the tools and support they need to look and feel their best, control their health, own their happiness and revolutionize their well-being.